Unit 1 – UX/UI Design Overview: Reflection and Discussion Questions

• Unit 1 – UX/UI Design Overview: Reflection and Discussion Questions

Posted by Charlene on June 2, 2021 at 4:17 pm

After completing the activities in Unit 1, answer the questions below as a reply to this post:

1. What are your three most important takeaways from Unit 1?
    2. What would you do differently to improve your learning and performance with Unit 1?
    3. How would you improve this unit for the next learner completing it?
    4. What is one question you have after completing Unit 1? After posting, please review your fellow learner’s posts and try to answer their questions.

Estefano replied 1 year, 1 month ago 10 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Shirlin

June 6, 2021 at 4:48 pm

1.) My most important takeaways are: how UX/Ui is apparent in our everyday lives, the importance of effective design, what makes design effective, and I learned a lot about the design thinking process.

2.) I think I learned a lot from unit 1, so I don’t think I would change anything.

3.) I would get rid of the one activity where the student has to record their voice because I felt a bit uncomfortable doing that.

4.) No Questions So Far

• Rebecca

June 26, 2021 at 10:46 am

1.) What is UX/UI, UX/UI are different things, they all follow a non linear process centered around the customer.
    2.) I could probably space out my work more.

3.) More videos and less articles.

4.) What companies use UX/UI design?

• Damilola

August 1, 2021 at 4:27 pm

A product without a good UX design is most likely to fail. UX/UI takes the customer into mind in a way that is more than making profit or serving them. Designing stuff involves a systematic way of doing things .

2. I really learn a lot . I think the note taking was important , but i would have love to do more test and other ways of finding out what i knew rather than taking notes

3) Pay more attention to the little stuffs and be more curious

4) no question , am enjoying the flow 😉

• Melina

August 14, 2021 at 4:27 am

1. My most important takeaways from Unit 1 is what UX/UI is and why it’s important.

2. I would manage my time a little bit better.

3. I wouldn’t change anything after unit 1

4. No questions

• Bridget

September 10, 2021 at 11:42 am

1. My most important takeaway is how essential UX is to our lives outside of technology. And how UX in real life can be translated in UX in our digital worlds.

2. I wouldn’t do anything differently, I believe I had a good understanding of the ideas.

3. I enjoyed this course and didn’t see anything that I thought needed improvement.

4. I have no questions.

• Emily

April 18, 2022 at 8:17 pm

1. My three most important takeaways are: UX/UI is important for everyday life, what makes a design effective, and how UX can effect an overall company.

2. I would balance my work load better.

3. I would add more interaction in the community.

4. How can a person get a job in design?

• Geneva

April 28, 2022 at 10:28 pm

A designer needs a portfolio, some experience, UX/UI fundamental knowledge, and user research skills.

• Geneva

April 28, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Dear Charlene,

1) The three most important takeaways from Unit 1 are:

1. Information architecture is the organization of information on a digital product.
    2. Discovery is a preliminary stage where designers gather insight about the user and gain initial direction for the problem. It does not include the testing of hypotheses or solutions.
    3. The nine-layer Pace Layering of Design are:
    • Designing visuals
    • Designing interactions
    • Designing flows
    • Designing whole features or sections of a product
    • Designing apps/products
    • Designing teams
    • Designing businesses
    • Designing society
    • Designing nature

They are the framework of design and address the relationship between the design team, stakeholders, society, and the environment.<div>

2) I would search for diagrams and visual models of key topics before completing each activity to improve my learning and performance with Unit 1.

3) I would improve this unit for the next learner completing it by including a mental study checklist of the unit so the learner can see how they are progressing through the unit.

4) One question I have after completing Unit 1 is:

What happens when a UX designer does not complete all nine layers of the Pace Layering of Design?

– Geneva Royer

</div>

• Geneva

July 29, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Great 👍🏾

• Caitlyn

July 30, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I agree. especially with #3!

• Estefano

February 21, 2023 at 7:29 pm

1. My main takeaways from unit one would be that research is very important, a design can have a very profound effect on people and how some designs are bad but are still used in everyday life.
    2. I would want to wait less to do my work and spread it out more evenly throughout the week.
    3. I would want there to be less notes and more visualizations.
    4. I have no questions for Unit One.