In this course, you will be introduced to the concepts of social-emotional learning and how to incorporate learning activities in your curriculum to help learners develop these skills. You will watch videos, read articles, and create activities on various topics relating to SEL.
Also, you will take notes on the materials, complete assignments, answer research questions, participate in a group discussion forum, complete assessments, create videos, and complete projects on the material for different learners.
Think of yourself in the following scenario as you complete this course.
You are an educator who recently started teaching online and is struggling with infusing your curriculum with social-emotional learning activities to help students connect with you and one another. Relationship-building is such a vital aspect of teaching so you’ve decided to take on the task of developing some SEL activities that you can share with colleagues to support your learners school-wide.
- SKILLS PRACTICED: Writing, Listening, Research, Note-Taking, Reflection, Critical Thinking, and Project Management
- SUBJECTS COVERED: Social-emotional learning, self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making
- POTENTIAL SUCCESS HABITS DEVELOPED: Time Management and Organization, Striving for Accuracy, Gathering Data Through All Senses/Capacity to Research, Active Memorization and Recall, Questioning and Posing Problems, Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision, Providing and Seeking Mentorship, Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- COURSE DURATION: 15 Hours
- COURSE REQUIREMENTS: You will need to have access to Google Drive to access the project and assignments
- COURSE PARTICIPATION: Learners can participate in this course individually or as a group.
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- Create free-standing lessons to enhance students’ social and emotional competence.
- Explore teaching practices such as cooperative learning and project-based learning, which promote SEL.
- Integration of SEL and academic curriculum such as language arts, math, social studies, or health.
- Build organizational strategies that promote SEL as a school-wide initiative that creates a climate and culture conducive to learning.
Have questions about the course, a unit, an activity, or an assignment? Click here to discuss it.
COURSE – INSTRUCTIONS:
You have multiple steps and resources to review and complete in this course. We recommend that you complete one step at a time. Do not rush your learning or complete the assignment.
Some of the information in the learning materials are new, and some of it is repetitious. The learning materials have been chosen to provide you different viewpoints on the same topics. We believe repetition brings mastery, but feel free to skip if need be.