Whether you are a seasoned speaker or a novice, public speaking is a skill that you will spend a lifetime perfecting. It is a skill that all people need to develop in today’s society.
In this course, you will be introduced to the concepts of public speaking as well as engage in activities that will help you identify the verbal and nonverbal aspects of a successful presentation, analyze and apply rhetorical devices used in effective speeches, adapt tone and content depending on the audience, construct structurally sound speeches, as well as write and deliver effective speeches.
You will watch videos, read articles, and review presentations on various topics. You will also take notes on the materials, complete assignments, answer research questions, participate in a group discussion forum, complete assessments, create videos, and complete projects on the material for different audiences.
Think of yourself in the following scenario as you complete this course.
You are the newest intern with your city mayor’s office and you are part of the team working on speeches and public appearances. You are very new to public speaking so you need to brush up on public speaking concepts as well as develop your public speaking skills.
- SKILLS PRACTICED: Reading Comprehension, Writing, Listening, Research, Note-Taking, Reflection, Critical Thinking, Video production, and Public Speaking
- SUBJECTS COVERED: Public Speaking
- POTENTIAL SUCCESS HABITS DEVELOPED: Time Management and Organization, Striving for Accuracy, Gathering Data Through All Senses/Capacity to Research, Active Memorization and Recall, Questioning and Posing Problems, Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision, Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- COURSE DURATION: 8 – 12 Hours
- COURSE REQUIREMENTS: You will need to have access to Google Drive to access the project and assignments
- COURSE PARTICIPATION: Learners can participate in this course individually or as a group.
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
- I know how to be an influential public speaker because I can develop and deliver powerful speeches and presentations.
Have questions about the course, a unit, an activity or assignment? Click here to discuss it.
r COURSE – INSTRUCTIONS:
You have multiple steps and resources to review and complete in this course. We recommend that you complete one step at a time. Do not rush your learning or to complete the assignment.
Some of the information in the learning materials are new, and some of it is repetitious. The learning materials have been chosen to provide you different viewpoints on the same topics. We believe repetition brings mastery, but feel free to skip if need be.
CLICK THE SECTIONS BELOW TO BEGIN THIS COURSE: