Music, in all its many forms and styles, is an integral part of human nature, culture, and society, and plays a significant role in the expressive and creative development of the individual. In this course, learners will develop an appreciation of music as a means of personal expression through an intensive introductory study of music theory.
Learners will be able to understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of music including pitch, rhythm and meter, notation, scales and keys, intervals, chords, and chord progressions, and basic musical form. Knowledge of these principles will equip students with the practical ability to engage directly in creative musical expression. An integrated program of aural training will enhance the perception of music.
Learners will develop fundamental musical literacy and will demonstrate an understanding of music theory through two Composition Projects, each consisting of original music composition and a critical analysis of the process of creative expression.
We will take you on a journey through the evolving world of music theory and sound and teach the fundamentals to help you navigate and thrive as an appreciator of music.
In this course, you will watch videos, read articles, complete assignments, and participate in a group discussion forum covering Music theory and sound. Also, you will take notes on the materials, answer research questions, complete assessments, and create instructional presentations and videos.
- SKILLS PRACTICED: Creative development, Listening, Research, Note-Taking, Reflection, Critical Thinking, Video Production, Project Management, Social Media Management
- SUBJECTS COVERED: Music Theory and Sound
- POTENTIAL SUCCESS HABITS DEVELOPED: Time Management and Organization, Striving for Accuracy, Gathering Data Through All Senses/Capacity to Research, Active Memorization and Recall, Questioning and Posing Problems, Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision, Providing and Seeking Mentorship, Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- COURSE DURATION: 120 days
- COURSE REQUIREMENTS: You will need to have access to Google Drive to access the project and assignments
- COURSE PARTICIPATION: Learners can participate in this course individually or as a group.
- COURSE AGE REQUIREMENTS: For learners 14 years and up.
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
IN THIS COURSE, YOU WILL:
- Create short, original musical compositions with an accompanying critical analysis of the process of creative expression.
- To demonstrate knowledge of standard pitch and rhythm notation, meter and time signatures, scales and keys, intervals, chords and chord progressions, and basic musical form.
- Learn the Elements of music, meter and rhythmic patterns, pitch names, intervals, harmonic analysis
Think of yourself in the following scenario as you complete this course.
- You are a new Music Production intern working with 24/7 Teach. Your focus during the internship is to develop effective musical scores for the company which will allow the organization to successfully achieve its objectives.
COURSE – INSTRUCTIONS:
You have multiple steps and resources to review and complete in this course. We recommend that you complete one step at a time. Do not rush your learning or to complete the assignment. Some of the information in the learning materials are new, and some of it is repetitious. The learning materials have been chosen to provide you with different viewpoints on the same topics. We believe repetition brings mastery, but feel free to skip if need be.